Jaguar MKII

Based in East Anglia

  • 3400cc 6 cylinder
  • 4 Speed manual gearbox with overdrive.
  • No power steering. No Air Conditioning.
  • Good sized boot for luggage.
  • 4 door saloon with leather seats front and rear
  • Available for self-drive hire

Jaguar MKII - 3.4ltr

The Jaguar Mark 2 is a medium-sized saloon car built from late 1959 to 1967 by the Jaguar company in Coventry, England. For the last 12 months before announcement of the XJ6 they were re-labelled Jaguar 240 and Jaguar 340. The previous Jaguar 2.4 and 3.4 models made between 1955 and 1959 have been identified as Mark 1 Jaguars since Jaguar produced the Mark 2 model.

Adhering to Sir William Lyons maxim of "grace, pace and space", the Mark 2 was a beautiful, fast and capable saloon. It came with a 120 bhp 2,483 cc, 210 bhp 3,442 cc or 220 bhp 3,781 cc Jaguar XK engine. The 3.8 is similar to the unit used in the 3.8 E-Type Jaguar, having the same block, crank, connecting rods and pistons but different inlet manifold and carburation and therefore 30 bhp less than the E-Type. The head of the six-cylinder engine in the Mark 2 had curved ports compared to the straight ports of the E-Type configuration. The 3.4- and 3.8-litre cars were fitted with twin SU HD6 carburettors and the 2.4 with twin Solex carburettors.

The overall appearance of the MKII was transformed by an increase of 18% in cabin glass area greatly improving visibility. The car was re-engineered above the waistline. Slender front pillars allowed a wider windscreen and the rear window almost wrapped around to the enlarged side windows now with the familiar Jaguar D-shape above the back door and fully chromed frames for all the side windows. The radiator grille was amended and larger side, tail and fog lamps repositioned. Inside a new heating system was supplied and ducted to the rear compartment. There was a new better instrument layout.

In September 1967 the Mark 2 cars were re-labelled 240 and 340. The 3.8-litre engine was dropped. There were interim models to fill the gap until the introduction of the XJ6 in September 1968. The 340 was discontinued on the introduction of the XJ6 but the 240 continued as a budget priced model until April 1969.

Output of the 240 engine was increased from 120 bhp to 133 bhp and torque was increased. It now had a straight-port type cylinder head and twin HS6 SU carburettors with a new inlet manifold. The automatic transmission was upgraded to a Borg-Warner 35 dual drive range. Power steering by was now available on the 340. There was a slight reshaping of the rear body and slimmer bumpers and over-riders were fitted. For the first time the 2.4-litre model could exceed 100 mph, resulting in a slight sales resurgence. The economies of the new 240 and 340 models came at a cost the leather upholstery was replaced by Ambla leather-like material and tufted carpet was used on the floor though both had been introduced on the Mark 2 a year earlier. Other changes included the replacement of the front fog lamps with circular vents and optional fog lamps for the UK market.

The GT Classic Hire MKII, affectionately know as Josephine is a 1963 3.4ltr MKII with optional chrome wire wheels. She has a Moss manual 4 speed gearbox with overdrive fitted. The steering has no power assistance.

Hire PeriodPrice
Chauffeur driven from£325